Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Doctors, Change and LET'S START A RIOT, A RIOT

So, doctors.

I went through my health test yesterday. It wasn't too bad overall, and actually moved very quickly. I was amazed how efficiently I was moved on from post to post, really. First it's weigh-in and height measurement, then blood pressure, then vision, then tell this guy that you've never had tuberculosis, then urine and blood test (they took five full test tubes of my blood), then dental.

We insisted on eating immediately after the health test due to, you know, blood loss. I wasn't able to eat anything or drink anything but water before the test, so there goes the Doubleshot... that combined with blood loss meant I was nearly passing out in the cab on the way home. Life on easy mode is boring, though- new challenges make me happy because I know that I can take them on head-on and come out on top.

I went to the health test with Evan, the second newest teacher. I guess he was teaching in France before he came to Korea, which is incredible. He's quite a nice guy and has a good head on his shoulders. I'm glad to be a part of such a diverse, intelligent and kind group.


So, change.

Yesterday I asked for my class schedule as today is my first day as a full-fledged teacher! I'll get to that later. When my schedule was presented to me, I noticed that my first class was at 1:00p... and I was like 'lol wut'. Well, starting today and going through until mid-August, our hours have changed. As a Middle School instructor, I'll be working 12-7p. This caused a bit of disorder among the staff- I mean, such a drastic change in hours with such little notice would understandably step on a few toes... I'm usually a creature of habit at the workplace (ask Mr. Wild, he knows), but a few curveballs here and there tend to keep me on my toes. I have a tendency to stagnate a little otherwise (once again, Mr. Wild knows). I also found out that my vacation will span from Jul 31 - Aug 4, at which point I should have the internets at home. This means Skype. :-]


So, LET'S START A RIOT, A RIOT.

I shadowed four of Joel's classes yesterday. The Middle School students tend to be a lot more withdrawn than the Elem. School students, but at some points can be absolutely uncontrollable. The last class of the night saw a restless group of students throwing all sorts of trash at another student, making a big mess... they also like to punch each other and flick each other in the forehead. I probably would've been hanged for this kind of behaviour in Middle School, or at least made to feel foolish by my classmates.

This has inspired me to rise to the challenge, though. I'm sure my students will be an unruly lot just like these ones were. The challenge is to prevent this through an intricate system of discipline and rewards. I'm still working on how I want to approach it, but I think I'll be able to bribe them with a game at the end of class (time allowing, still need to do some time management) should their 'class score' be high enough. I was in Middle School once- if you turn something into a game, students will be interested in playing it. I know I was.

I understand that I'm not supposed to build on curriculum too much. The books are there for a reason. But I would like to supplement them with things that will keep the students interested instead of 'okay, turn to page 32. listen to this. answer the questions. okay, page 33. read this. answer the questions.' I know that in public school, this kind of approach bored the crap out of me and, as a result, I didn't pay attention. I didn't do my homework. Hell, I didn't even go to class most of the time. Learning should be awesome, not a chore- it's amazing that any approach can suck the inherent awesome out of learning, honestly. Learning kicks ass!


So, my co-workers.

Everyone has been incredibly kind thus far. Everyone. I'm really enjoying their company as well as their help adjusting- Joel and Tom, the Aussies mentioned in previous posts, have been a blessing. Hell, without them I wouldn't know how to get to work or back home. They've covered cab fares, owned me at pool, given me advice... this is all stuff they don't need to do, not by a longshot. But they've helped me feel at home in a country I'm completely new to and I appreciate it more than they know or I can express.

That's it for now.

Until next time,
- 토맛

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm so behind on reading these! lol. So great you've found such an amazing supportive group of coworkers! I think that often tends to be the way, though- when a bunch (or even a little handful) of people are thrown together in a situation where everyone is not at home, unsure, unexpecting, etc, they all tend to really go out of their way for each other. The "we all in this together" mentality. Gahh!!! SOOO excited and happy for you already! NOw to read on . . .

    ReplyDelete